We come to the end of another busy week at Lucan East ETNS. Below are some of the things that have been happening this week:
- Seachtain na Gaeilge has been in full swing across the school. The children have been Irish dancing, organising an Irish language shop (siopa Gaeilge), having quiz’s as well as doing PE and art through Irish. Irish is one of the three core subjects we study here at the school, the other two being English and Maths. It is great to see the children have such a great attitude to the language. Many thanks to Elaine from Rang 4 who taught every child in the school Irish dancing this week. We also have a lá glas agus Gaeilge on Friday which involves every student dressing in green. Our first classes visited Gaelscoil Eiscir Riada and both classes got lots of compliments for all the Gaeilge they knew. We will have an Irish language show with a performance from each class. Junior Infants to second class enjoyed a puppet show in Irish. It has been a great SNAG 2015. check out some of the pictures on our twitter account @lucaneastet.
- I would like to appeal to all parents to vote for our video on facebook. We sent a text home about it. We are in a competition to win a grant of 1000€ for non fiction books. If everybody in the school community votes for us and gets their friends to do the same we will be in with a great chance. I even make an appearance in the video along with the star Olan from Greece class.
- The PTA are working on two major projects at the moment. The copper trail is going brilliantly and we have already raised over €700 euro. There is one more week of the trail so all the classes will be working hard to win the class based prize. The PTA are also involved in a really exciting initiative with our library. All the books that we received are now being organised by the parents. All help is gratefully received. Many thanks to all the parents who took part in maths for fun in first class and reading in Junior Infants.
- Our own Colette will be making an appearance at the Dublin St. Patrick’s day Parade. Look out for her if you are going in to join the fun. Remember there will also be a parade in Lucan Village. The school will be open next monday and closed for one day on Tueday march 17th for the national Holiday.
- Yesterday our cross country runners braved the elements to compete in the local cross country series against other schools in this region. We had three winners and lots of personal bests. it was great to see the children encouraging each other. The next phase of the competition are the finals in Tallaght. Well done to everyone.
- We hope to open our new outreach class for children with ASD after the easter holidays. It will be called Ghana class. Carol Makim will be teaching the class. many of you will know Carol already as she has been in our school for a number of years and taught a number of different age groups as well as spearheading lots of the scientific and musical endeavors in the school. Carol is really excited about her new role and we wish her well in it. Margaret Leonard who is currently on maternity leave will be returning after easter and will take up the support role in third class currently occupied by Carol. Our outreach class will open with three children next term and a further three children in September.
- Our Board of management are currently preparing for the opening of our new class.
This will just give you a flavour of all the wonderful things happening in our school. I would like to thank you all for your continued support,
Ní neart go cur le chéile – there is no strength without unity,